First day results (PDF)
ST. GEORGE, UTAH –
Day one of a three-day event on the Dixie State campus saw the Aggies finish solidly in the 50-yard free and 200-yard free relay. With the best Aggie performance of the day from Aimee Burton, the Aggies notched two individual top-five rankings at the DSU Human Performance Pool.
END TO END
• With a time of 23.08 seconds in the 50-yard freestyle, Burton was second in the seventh final of the night. This is the junior’s best time of the season in the fastest pool race.
• Three other NM State swimmers also earned top-15 rankings in the 50-yard freestyle as Neza Kocijan (12, 23.70), Airam Oliva-Aun (14th, 23.95) and Maude Boily Dufour (15th, 24.04) each seemed solid.
• Burton’s quartet, Airam Oliva-Aun, Maude Boily-Dufour and Neza Kocijan then teamed up to finish third in the 200-yard freestyle relay, posting a combined time of 1: 32.59 in the opener of the playoffs.
• Aggie’s other individual finisher who landed in fifth place or better was Lindsay Puhalski. Puhalski was fifth in the 200 IM with a time of 2: 03.09 in a packed field. Companion Aggie Jordan Andrusak also performed well in the event as she clocked 2: 05.50 to place 12th out of a group of 32 swimmers.
QUOTE | HEAD COACH RICK PRATT
“A solid first day with somewhat mixed results but overall a lot of effort and energy. We are attacking each session at a time that requires a lot of courage and despite the lack of fuel on the last stints, we had some really good split times and a lot of good swims today. Aimee Burton was great with the second fastest 50 in program history, Katherine had her second fastest 500 tonight and Lindsay Puhalski was an excellent MI. We were better than this morning in many areas and we need to keep learning and improving with each session. Tomorrow is going to be a long day of racing and we are excited about the opportunities. “
TO BE CONTINUED
• Aggie swimmers will be back in the pool for day two prelims tomorrow morning at 10:00 am. Day two of the Dixie State Invitational competition finals will follow starting at 5:00 pm.